The baked soy sauce chicken is one of the most popular Chinese recipes in many Southeast Asian countries. It’s also considered as an iconic Chinese dish that has been sold in thousands of restaurants all over the world. This simple baked soy sauce chicken recipe can be prepared in less than 30 minutes and it will leave you craving for more!
And if you ask us, there’s absolutely no reason why baked soy sauce chicken should not be a staple on any dinner menu! The soy sauce chicken is simply marinated, pan-fried cubes of chicken that are then smothered in a savory soy sauce and ginger-based coating. In this article, we’ll give you an extensive overview of everything you need to know about baked soy sauce chicken including its history, variations, ingredients, cooking method, and more. So read on if you want to learn more!
What is soy sauce chicken?
Soy sauce chicken is a style of fried chicken that is typically seasoned with soy sauce. Soy sauce is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented soybeans. It is used in many Asian cuisines as a marinade and a seasoning. The main ingredients of soy sauce chicken are soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and white pepper.
Soy sauce chicken is also called Soy Sauce Chicken, Soy Chicken, as well as Chicken in soy Sauce. Soy sauce chicken is one of the most popular and well-known dishes in China and Southeast Asia. This style of chicken is typically seasoned with soy sauce. Soy sauce is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented soybeans.
Variations of Soy Sauce Chicken
- Soy Sauce Chicken and Rice: Similar to how Chinese soy sauce chicken is served with plain white rice, you can also add some cooked grains to the soy sauce chicken like cooked white rice and cooked brown rice.
- Soy Sauce Chicken with Cashews: You can also add cashews to the soy sauce chicken to make it more interesting.
- Soy Sauce Chicken in a Casserole: If you are looking for a more convenient way to prepare soy sauce chicken, you can also try making it in a casserole.
- Fried Soy Sauce Chicken: Fried soy sauce chicken is a popular variation of soy sauce chicken. You can make fried soy sauce chicken by coating the chicken with soy sauce and then frying the chicken pieces until it gets crispy.
- Soy Sauce Chicken in a Wok: You can also make soy sauce chicken in a wok. You can let the soy sauce chicken stew in the wok for a longer time.
History of Soy Sauce Chicken
The soy sauce chicken is believed to have originated in northeastern China and then traveled to the neighbouring countries such as Korea, Japan and Vietnam. During the Han Dynasty, soy sauce chicken was not yet invented. In 9th century, the soy sauce chicken was introduced to the Chinese through Arab traders. By the end of 10th century, soy sauce chicken was already a popular dish in China. Soy sauce chicken has since become one of the most popular Chinese dishes.
The soy sauce chicken is believed to have originated in northeastern China and then traveled to neighboring countries such as Korea, Japan and Vietnam. During the Han Dynasty, soy sauce chicken was not yet invented. In 9th century, the soy sauce chicken was introduced to the Chinese through Arab traders. By the end of 10th century, soy sauce chicken was already a popular dish in China. Soy sauce chicken has since become one of the most popular Chinese dishes.
Health benefits of Soy Sauce Chicken
Soy Sauce Chicken is a great Heart-Healthy Eating Option: Soy sauce chicken is a great heart-healthy option as it is a low-fat item with high iron and protein content. Its sodium content is also very low which makes it a good option for people who want to lower their sodium intake.
Soy Sauce Chicken is also a great source of Vitamin B2, which helps strengthen our immune system and keep us healthy. B2 is also known asriboflavin and is an essential nutrient for maintaining good eye health and normal vision.
Soy Sauce Chicken also has lots of minerals such as manganese and phosphorus that help strengthen our bones, strengthen our immune system and improve our digestion.
Shaping the perfect soy sauce chicken crust
For best results, we recommend marinating the soy sauce chicken overnight. However, if you don’t have that much time on your hands, we suggest you follow these steps to enhance the flavor of the soy sauce chicken.
First, you need to mix the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and white pepper in a mixing bowl. Then, you can add some corn starch, to thicken the soy sauce mixture.
Next, make a bed of cabbage leaves. Then, lay the soy sauce chicken slices on top of the cabbage leaves, and press the soy sauce chicken pieces down with a heavy plate. Ensure the soy sauce chicken is completely covered with the soy sauce mixture.
Now, place the soy sauce chicken packets in the refrigerator for an overnight rest. You can also leave them outside in the sun for a few hours.
Tips to make the best baked soy sauce chicken
- When you are marinating the soy sauce chicken, you should make sure to use a large bowl so that the soy sauce mixture can adequately cover the chicken.
- Try not to overcrowd the soy sauce chicken in the pan as this can lead to uneven cooking.
- Make sure to use fresh ginger. If you don’t have fresh ginger, you can also use ginger powder.
- Make sure to serve the baked soy sauce chicken hot. If you choose to make this recipe during the week, you can also make it ahead of time and eat it cold.
- Instead of serving the soy sauce chicken with cabbage and rice, try serving it with mashed potatoes or vegetables like carrots and broccoli.
- You can also serve the baked soy sauce chicken with steamed rice.
The soy sauce chicken is one of the most iconic Chinese dishes and it can be prepared in countless ways. This dish is perfect for any meal and it can easily be made at home. Baked soy sauce chicken is a delicious and easy way to prepare a traditional Chinese dish.